PCOS & AYURVEDA
There are many issues these days which are becoming prevalent in today’s world. One of these condition, which is getting epidemic proportions is dreaded – PCOS. In this article I would like to explain its causes and symptoms in as short and simple as possible.
What is PCOS or PCOD?
Polycystic ovary disease or PCOD/ Polycystic ovary syndrome or PCOS is a problem in which a woman’s hormones go haywire. PCOS can create havoc on your periods and may make it difficult for one to get pregnant. It may create changes in the way you look. If overlooked, over time it may turn to serious health problems, such as diabetes, heart disease and even cancers! Many small cysts get created on the ovaries of women with PCOS. That’s the reason it is called polycystic ovary syndrome. The cysts are not harmful on their own but one of the reasons for hormone imbalances. One should remain aware that the symptoms of PCOS may still persist, even if when we remove both the ovaries. Your metabolism gets affected rather than your ovaries. Hormone regulation centre at hypothalamus in the brain which affects multiple organs (Multi-system disease) plays a major role in this.
Women those who are suffering from PCOS gets heavy vaginal bleeding (its one of the symptoms). The reason behind it is, as they are not ovulating and producing the hormone Progesterone like other normal women do and have normal periods, the lining of their uteri becomes thick leading to heavy bleeding and sometimes uterine cancer.
The common symptoms of PCOS are:
- Irregular periods
- Oily skin
- Heart problems
- Weight gain
- Mood swings and depression
- As if it was not bad enough, your chances increase of developing a big disease later on in life, like, autoimmune thyroid disease, full-blown diabetes and even cancers.
Although PCOD is fairly common, it has no sure-fire cure in mainstream allopathic medicine, but Ayurveda can help alleviate PCOD symptoms in a big way.
PCOD – How Ayurveda Can Help?
- In Ayurveda, when the two doshas – Pitta (Fire) and Kapha (Water) gets imbalanced PCOD is caused. Aggravated Pitta causes contamination of the dhatus or tissues like blood and plasma. This is the reason why there is a build-up of toxins or Ama in the body.
- These toxins get accumulated in the channels of the mind, leading to an imbalance of hormones secreted by the pituitary gland in PCOS patients, this results in an imbalance of female hormones and causes the formation of ovarian cysts which is nothing but a collection of fluids within the ovary, anovulatory periods or periods with no ovulation etc.
Ayurvedic herbal remedies for PCOD
Ayurveda works on these problems:
– Treatment for insulin resistance
-Correcting hormonal imbalance
– Reducing high cholesterol levels
Could I have PCOS?
If any or all of the above signs seems familiar to you, you might have PCOS. There could be many other reasons as well that you have these signs: however, only your health care provider can tell for sure. It would be advisable for you to consult a doctor near you or you can contact us (contact details are given below)
Although there is no quick fix to treating PCOS as it is a systemic issue, it can be managed through diet and lifestyle and a holistic approach. If you’re ready to get to the bottom of your hormonal imbalances once and for all, let us help you. Your body CAN work for you. You can choose to stop suffering and start feeling good.
Ayurveda can help you here.
As you must have noticed that I have not mentioned any ayurvedic medicines for PCOD here, the reason being that, a treatment is given on an individual basis (based on your prakriti). You can read about it here https://drpashupatinath.com/ayurvedic-prakriti/
First we decode your prakriti and based on the same, treatment is designed.
If you would like to get yourself treated for the same, you can contact me at +91-9414043016 or at email@example.com
About the Author
Dr. Pashupati Nath is a well renowned Ayurvedic Doctor (MD),a coach, consultant. With 18+ years of experience as an Ayurvedic doctor, Dr. Pashupati Nath works with his patients to help them unearth dormant capacities that lead to more fulfilling life through the physical, psychological and spiritual way of Ayurveda